Threads
@Mafia

found this randomly, when i was looking for GIFs

Mafia

Administrator
Staff member
a
Threads
I've heard this theory before on 4chan and that Anno's intention was that you weren't supposed to like Rei and that he was horrified at her popularity.

I don't know how true that is since I don't care what Anno thinks or what his intentions were.

There's this philisophy we have in literature called "The Death of the Author" (taken from the essay of the same name by Roland Barthes). In short it means what matters is what the reader takes away from the story (or in this case the viewer) regardless of the author's intent.

This is all part of reader-response theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader-response_criticism) which is my preferred method of critically analyzing a work and what I use to frame the posts I make when I do.

So it doesn't matter at all if what that redditor wrote was true since it doesn't apply to me and my experience of NGE.

The connection between her and Shinji Ikari comes from Shinji being interested to her smell because it reminds him of his mother and the fact that his father is giving her positive attention instead of him.
That's not what I got at all from their relationship. Rei is someone that is impartial with Shinji and someone that he can always get a genuine opinion from that is rational and grounded in reality.

That's their connection. He's just looking at plot elements without going deeper as to what they represent.

And Shinji was never resentful of Rei with her relationship with Gendo, that resentment was directed exclusively at Gendo.

Both the manga and the movie versions replaced that with Shinji straight-up warming her up and making her more human than either her
The manga was much more mild in this compared to the movies which is why it got a 6/10 from me (compared to the anime which was 8/10 since this was a change I did not like) and the movies when these changes came into play got 2/10 and 1/10 respectively I think from me.

Imo the movies messed up more than Rei's depiction. And lots of people say they suck and do not really represent Evangelion and just a dumbed down version so Anno can make more money. That's how I look to them as well, just as business ventures. I don't take what occurs there seriously.

Rei is by far one of the worst girls in the show, maybe even just in anime altogether, because that was the point of the character. She’s the choice of people who want to escape from human interaction and want a pet to mold however they see fit."
They don't understand Rei because she has the most convictions out of everyone in the series.

Idiots just think introverted = submissive because that's how most anime characters that are, are presented.

But a more apt term to describe Rei is reserved. People who don't understand the character don't get she has the personality of someone with complete self control. There's nothing submissive about that.

A truly submissive character is Ritsuko.

Rei and Gendo had a real relationship but Ritsuko just did whatever she could to please Gendo because she had a lot of issues that are hard for me to elaborate on because I don't care about that character as much and I don't like analyzing personalities like that that I really dislike in women.

Are you a fan because you like the quiet, unemotional and submissive type? Yeah, you missed the fucking point, clearly didn't pay attention, Hideaki Anno hates you, and the masturbation scene in EoE is making fun of you.
I've seen this same line so many times in Eva discussion it's almost like a copy pasta.

Maybe these guys have a point that a character like Rei appeals to a detached otaku that is not at all socially well adjusted because that's what I am.

If it does it's not for the reasons they say it is though. At least not for me.

TL/DR who cares what Anno thinks and those random surface level observations based on w/e they think Anno's intent is.

Mafia

Administrator
Staff member
a
Threads
Are you a fan because you like the quiet, unemotional and submissive type? Yeah, you missed the fucking point, clearly didn't pay attention, Hideaki Anno hates you, and the masturbation scene in EoE is making fun of you.
Also what this guy is trying to say as well is that if you're like Shinji/relate to Shinji than Anno is making fun of you and that's not what you're supposed to do.

Imo just a really dumb normie opinion.

This is the type of person that watches Eva for "the robots."

Btw to borrow a 4chan term this guy is a pleb that actually likes End of Evangelion over the series.

Are you a fan because she grows across her multiple "reincarnations", and ultimately comes to realize that she's not a puppet and that she's not okay with being used by Gendo for his own cause and rejects him, and instead chooses to leave the fate of the world in Shinji's hands instead, because he has shown he legitimately cares for her? That makes a lot of sense, you're in the clear.
:spew:

He's just going off the pretentious garbage that was the End of Evangelion plot without looking any deeper than the basic story.

These redditors' takes really suck. They're all so shallow. They don't go beyond the narrative, there's no inferencing.

End of Evangelion is not even the real ending but just something that was made to capitalize on the massive popularity of the NGE anime.

pretty_boy

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
Sorcerer
a
Threads
I've heard this theory before on 4chan and that Anno's intention was that you weren't supposed to like Rei and that he was horrified at her popularity.

I don't know how true that is since I don't care what Anno thinks or what his intentions were.

There's this philisophy we have in literature called "The Death of the Author" (taken from the essay of the same name by Roland Barthes). In short it means what matters is what the reader takes away from the story (or in this case the viewer) regardless of the author's intent.

This is all part of reader-response theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader-response_criticism) which is my preferred method of critically analyzing a work and what I use to frame the posts I make when I do.

So it doesn't matter at all if what that redditor wrote was true since it doesn't apply to me and my experience of NGE.

That's not what I got at all from their relationship. Rei is someone that is impartial with Shinji and someone that he can always get a genuine opinion from that is rational and grounded in reality.

That's their connection. He's just looking at plot elements without going deeper as to what they represent.

And Shinji was never resentful of Rei with her relationship with Gendo, that resentment was directed exclusively at Gendo.

The manga was much more mild in this compared to the movies which is why it got a 6/10 from me (compared to the anime which was 8/10 since this was a change I did not like) and the movies when these changes came into play got 2/10 and 1/10 respectively I think from me.

Imo the movies messed up more than Rei's depiction. And lots of people say they suck and do not really represent Evangelion and just a dumbed down version so Anno can make more money. That's how I look to them as well, just as business ventures. I don't take what occurs there seriously.

They don't understand Rei because she has the most convictions out of everyone in the series.

Idiots just think introverted = submissive because that's how most anime characters that are, are presented.

But a more apt term to describe Rei is reserved. People who don't understand the character don't get she has the personality of someone with complete self control. There's nothing submissive about that.

A truly submissive character is Ritsuko.

Rei and Gendo had a real relationship but Ritsuko just did whatever she could to please Gendo because she had a lot of issues that are hard for me to elaborate on because I don't care about that character as much and I don't like analyzing personalities like that that I really dislike in women.

I've seen this same line so many times in Eva discussion it's almost like a copy pasta.

Maybe these guys have a point that a character like Rei appeals to a detached otaku that is not at all socially well adjusted because that's what I am.

If it does it's not for the reasons they say it is though. At least not for me.

TL/DR who cares what Anno thinks and those random surface level observations based on w/e they think Anno's intent is.
I didn't think that Shinji had a deep connection with rei... I just though he though she was pretty and mysterious which intrigued him. but also the fact they're both pilots and she is close with his dad.

there's very little dialogue between the two atleast what I remember.
I think there's the part where Shinji opens up her tube when her Evangelion gets injured and he starts crying. that was kinda cringe, idk what to make from that

pretty_boy

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
Sorcerer
a
Threads
Also what this guy is trying to say as well is that if you're like Shinji/relate to Shinji than Anno is making fun of you and that's not what you're supposed to do.

Imo just a really dumb normie opinion.

This is the type of person that watches Eva for "the robots."

Btw to borrow a 4chan term this guy is a pleb that actually likes End of Evangelion over the series.

:spew:

He's just going off the pretentious garbage that was the End of Evangelion plot without looking any deeper than the basic story.

These redditors' takes really suck. They're all so shallow. They don't go beyond the narrative, there's no inferencing.

End of Evangelion is not even the real ending but just something that was made to capitalize on the massive popularity of the NGE anime.
didnt even finish end of eva lol

pretty_boy

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
Sorcerer
a
Threads
I didn't think that Shinji had a deep connection with rei... I just though he though she was pretty and mysterious which intrigued him. but also the fact they're both pilots and she is close with his dad.

there's very little dialogue between the two atleast what I remember.
I think there's the part where Shinji opens up her tube when her Evangelion gets injured and he starts crying. that was kinda cringe, idk what to make from that
maybe he relates to her since they're both loners I guess.

Mafia

Administrator
Staff member
a
Threads
didnt even finish end of eva lol
After the NERV part it sucks imo and is not worth watching.

The end of Asuka's battle is when it can safely be shut off.

That was adorable.

pretty_boy

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
Sorcerer
a
Threads
I guess I get what you mean by she is impartial since Misato is kinda fake and he has no one else in his life

Mafia

Administrator
Staff member
a
Threads
I guess I get what you mean by she is impartial since Misato is kinda fake and he has no one else in his life
She doesn't have biases and never tries to manipulate anyone for her own agenda. She's always real.

I would say Asuka is fake but Misato is trying to live up to personas and can never be as authentic as Rei because of that. The thing is Misato means well so I don't want to use a negative term like fake to describe her.

Like Misato wants to play the part of a role model while she knows she is messed up herself. Rei never tries to play any part. She is who she is.

That's why her words carry more weight and Shinji had the deepest conversations with her.

Sadboy

Theorist
Threads
I found I can't get along with submissive quiet girls like Ayanami. talking to them's awkward , like they want you to go away

pretty_boy

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
Sorcerer
a
Threads
She doesn't have biases and never tries to manipulate anyone for her own agenda. She's always real.

I would say Asuka is fake but Misato is trying to live up to personas and can never be as authentic as Rei because of that. The thing is Misato means well so I don't want to use a negative term like fake to describe her.

Like Misato wants to play the part of a role model while she knows she is messed up herself. Rei never tries to play any part. She is who she is.

That's why her words carry more weight and Shinji had the deepest conversations with her.
I found I can't get along with submissive quiet girls like Ayanami. talking to them's awkward , like they want you to go away
yea there was a girl similar in my philosophy class. I never heard is spoke and she sat by herself and also never used her phone during class just listen and take note. she was very skinny and a lil short as well. saw her in the library and other places too.

Mafia

Administrator
Staff member
a
Threads
yea there was a girl similar in my philosophy class. I never heard is spoke and she sat by herself and also never used her phone during class just listen and take note. she was very skinny and a lil short as well. saw her in the library and other places too.
Those kinds of people are always very skinny since it's a sign of poor self control to be overweight.

They don't like indulgence so they don't eat the way the average person does (for fun). It's just something they have to do.

I'm not even going to elaborate on the looks level required to date someone like that. You'd have to read/watch josei to have an idea.

Just a random image from googling josei, idk who these characters are.